WAYS TO ENJOY SUMTER COUNTY THIS WINTER:
- Stop by the Visitor Center for a copy of the Historic Homes Driving Tour
- Order take-out from any of our local restaurants and have a picnic at Rees Park
- Explore two historic cemeteries
- Visit the place where Charles Lindbergh took his first solo flight
- Play disc or footgolf at Americus KOA
- Take a self-guided walking tour of the Historic Windsor Hotel or Rylander Theatre
- Shop Saturday morning at Lenny’s Market (Farmers Market)
- Pick up a homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream cone from Bobby Salter’s Plain Peanuts
- Shop in the beautiful antique & boutique shops on Main Street
- Pick up take-out and have a picnic at the Plains Visitor Center
- Explore Jimmy Carter National Historic Site grounds
- Walk the streets where a former president lives!
- Explore Pioneer Farm and Drummer Boy Civil War Museum
- Grab take-out and head to Andersonville National Historic Site for a picnic
- Shop the local antique shops and grab some ice cream
- Visit the national cemetery and grounds of the former POW camp
- Explore the towns and stop by the Georgia Rural Telephone Museum
- Take the boat out to Lake Blackshear and relax on the water
- Take a drive down the winding roads through beautiful pecan orchards
- Head to SAM Shortline at Lake Blackshear and take a ride on the train!
SAM Shortline – Romantic Valentine’s Dinner Train – Lake Blackshear
Boarding begins at 5 PM and departure is at 5:30 PM from the Lake Blackshear Depot for this unique two-hour excursion. Special pricing on prime rib and chicken dinner packages will be sold. Refreshments also will be available for purchase aboard the train. For prices and more information, call 229-276-0755. Tickets for the train ride only, without dinner, also are available.
SAM Shortline train ride – Presidential Flyer
Boarding begins at 9:30 AM and the train departs at 10 AM from Georgia Veterans State Park at Lake Blackshear. For information on this and other rides, call 229-276-0755.
SAM Shortline train ride – Sumter Explorer
Boarding begins at 9 AM and the train departs at 9:30 AM from Georgia Veterans State Park at Lake Blackshear for this Friday ride. The ride includes a stop at the Georgia Rural Telephone Museum in Leslie and a two-hour layover in Americus, as well as a 1½-hour layover in Plains. For information on this and other rides, call 229-276-0755.
SAM Shortline train ride – Plains Express
Boarding begins at 9:30 AM and the train departs at 10 AM from Downtown Cordele for this Saturday ride. For information on this and other rides, call 229-276-0755.
Follow us on Facebook & Instagram: Americus Sumter Tourism